Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

My first dish that gave my hubby nightmares!!

Why is it so hard for me to just write up something I am very familiar with? I cook all the time..Of late it has kind of become an obsession...Do I cook well?Hmm...that you have to ask my hubby...'coz if you ask me..there's going to be just one answer.."am an amazing cook" :D

I always loved cooking or at least the idea of cooking..for sometime I even fancied about becoming a 5 star chef...like all dreams..that never happened...my life was just predictable...I joined an engineering college and later got into one of the software companies...Like most of you know once you get into a job..there is very little time for any kind of hobby..or at least that's my excuse for not pursuing anything else other than couch potato-ing :D

I remember the first time I cooked anything outside my mommyz kitchen, it was for my hubby. Like I have been telling you guys about my awesome cooking, I had led on my hubby to believe that I was just too good at kitchen...He had been out of India for more than a year and so he was expecting me to create magic in
his kitchen...Since I knew he was a novice...I was just behaving like a pompous rat! (can't use any other words here I guess..G rated blogs :D) Anyways, I gave him the impression that I had a second job as a big shot chef..made him gather ingredients for me..clean up vessels...etc etc..The poor chap did everything to make me comfortable in the kitchen in the hopes of getting a decent meal after a longtime...


of course what followed was a total disaster :) The dish I made was simple dry okra curry...Even i have to admit that it looked and tasted awful :D...so till date, he doesn't believe me when I make claims about my awesomeness about anything in cooking department :)

Lessons Learnt:


1) For those abroad or don't get fresh okra, never use frozen Okra to make any kind of curry..they don't taste good at all,not even in Sambhar. They have no taste and are so slimy & gooey..Just don't use frozen Okra...FULL-STOP.
2) Do NOT brag about any dish you can make..cooking is a tricky business..even if you have mastered a dish..on the day you brag a lot...as per Murphy's law..that day the dish turns out for the worse!!

Over the years,after n number of attempts at making okra,  I have finally figured out a decent recipe that doesn't dent my ego much. The most important thing is in knowing how to pick good and fresh okra. When you are shopping for it, make sure you pick the once that look tender, and when u apply slight pressure
at the tail end of Okra, it should snap off. that's a sign of freshness. At least that's what my mom says, and so far I have found it to be true.

Since this is something like a food blog..maybe I should cut down on yapping and write down a recipe :)

OKRA / LADIES FINGER Curry - Dry.


Ingredients:


1)   Okra / Ladies finger - half Kg
2)   Chili powder - 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp
3)   Ginger - Half inch - minced
4)   Turmeric - half tsp
5)   Mustard seeds - half tsp
6)   Cumin seeds - half tsp
7)   Split urad dal - half tsp
8)   Asafoetida/hing - a pinch
9)   Curry leaves - a handful
10) Salt to taste
11) Veg oil - 2 tbsp

Method:

1) Wash and cut Okra into 1 cm pieces.The thinner you cut, the better taste you get.
2) In a thick bottomed pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil. To this add cut okra and fry for 2 to 3 mins. make sure to stir continuously without breaking the okra. This helps in removing the gooey stuff from okra. Remove from heat and keep aside.
3) In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil, add mustard and cumin seeds.When they start sputtering, add curry leaves.
4) Add urad dal and fry till it turns slightly golden brown.
5) Add asafoetida followed by minced ginger and fry for a min.
6) Now add okra and give a good stir to coat it with oil.
7) After a min, add Turmeric powder, Chili powder and salt. Stir carefully without damaging the okra much.
8) Sprinkle a little water, Cover and cook in low flame. Stir occasionally. Be careful with the water, too much of it will make the curry mushy.

This should get cooked in about 10 minutes. Due to the Mallu effect in my life, I just add coconut to almost every dish. If you prefer, there is no harm in adding 2 tbsp of grated coconut and giving it a stir before taking off the heat.This is optional though.

This is one of favorite dishes since childhood...Hope you enjoyed this very simply but yummy recipe.

9 comments:

  1. I cooked using above recipe and never had Okra this tasty.
    Kalyan

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe...I remember that incident...made me quite glad after all the jealousy I endured when u boasted of being a great cook :D
    I never knew about the step 2 you have mentioned...will try that out the next time I cook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must vouch here that I'm an avid follower of Nanduz kitchen. Esp. considering that my favourite pastime over weekends is to hover around kitchen watching her at work and doing my fair share with consuming it.

    P.S.The step 2 part is new to me too.will try that,and I liked the coconut part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys..for being gentle with the comments :D
    @Kalyan - a little less sarcasm please :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Step 2 seems to be new... Add yogurt (a little) in the above method... to avoid Gooey :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kartee..will check it out...If addign yogurt is a disaster..I will parcel the whole dish to st.antonio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice start Nandita...Waiting for your signature dishes to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey....Regarding the path-breaking step-2....isnt it easier to just cut the okra, spread it on a paper towel n switch on the fan....in f mins it'll be dry n there wont be any gooeiness.... ok ok..plz dont ban me from ur blog... Ur Okra subji recipe is world best

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well..this is not as pathbreaking as the bread jam recipe u shared with me recently :D
    Next time I buy Okra, will rem to buy a fan too :)

    ReplyDelete